Managing Partner, Attorney at law
Valentyn Gvozdiy is Managing Partner at GOLAW and Vice-President of the Ukrainian National Bar Association (UNBA). He has extensive experience in handling some of the most complex litigations and high profile white collar crime cases in Ukraine of the last few years with remarkable results. He provides development of legal strategies for litigation cases and criminal proceedings as well as their further implementation for both Ukrainian and foreign companies, challenging unlawful actions of law enforcement authorities, procedural representation of legal entities and their top-employees during investigations, defence of potential and actual suspects and defendants. His competencies include support during investment, corporate, economic and administrative disputes.
Among other focus areas in Valentyn’s practice is Tax, Corporate and Banking. He focuses on the provision of legal advice on a broad spectrum of related legislation issues, tax litigation, as well as tax planning and structuring, along with representing the interests of local and foreign companies before the tax authorities (including all types of tax investigations both domestic and international).
In 2017, Valentyn Gvozdiy has been awarded the title of Honored Lawyer of Ukraine.
- Law faculty, Yury Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, Ukraine;
- ICA Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Governance, Risk & Compliance, Manchester Business School, UK.
Bar Admissions: Ukraine; Germany.
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2019 – recommended among the best Ukrainian lawyers in: Banking, finance and capital markets, Dispute resolution, Real estate and construction, Tax;;
- Who's Who Legal, 2018 - recognised among the best lawyers in Ukraine in "Corporate Tax: Controversy";
- Best Lawyers in Ukraine, 2019 - Valentyn has received an individual recognition in several practices: Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Government Relations Practice, Investment, Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation,Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Real Estate Law, Tax Law;
- Ukrainian Law firms. A Handbook for Foreign Clients, 2018 – received an individual recognition in the next practices: Tax and Transfer Pricing, Litigation.
- The Legal 500 EMEA, 2018 – recognised in Dispute Resolution, Employment and Tax practices;
- Best Lawyer in Ukraine, 2018 edition – recommended among best Ukrainian lawyers for Litigation, Investment, M&A, Corporate, Land Use and Zoning, Banking and Finance;
- TOP 50 Law Firms in Ukraine, 2017 – named among the top practitioners in Litigation and Tax matters;
- Top-100 Client Choice, 2017 – best lawyer in Litigation and Tax;
- Legal Awards, 2016 - the winner of Best Tax Litigators nomination;
- Legal 500 EMEA, 2014 – recommended among best Ukrainian lawyers for litigation and taxation practices;
- PLC Which Lawyer, 2013 – recommended among best Ukrainian lawyers in taxation law sphere;
- Tax Directors Handbook, 2013 – recommended among best Ukrainian lawyers in taxation law sphere.
- European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA);
- German Federal Bar Association (Bundesrechtsanwaltskammer);
- Vice President of the Ukrainian National Bar Association;
- The Ukrainian American Bar Association (UABA);
- International Bar Association;
- American Chamber of Commerce (ACC);
- European Business Association (EBA);
- International Compliance Association.
Knowledge of languages: Ukrainian, Russian, English.
Representation of interests of a Czech bank in its capacity of a creditor in bankruptcy within the scope of the bankruptcy proceeding of a debtor in Ukraine; follow-up of foreclosure on the movable and immovable properties pledged by the debtor.
Follow-up of the procedure for winding up of a major taxpayer via its liquidation. Representation of interests of the company in tax authorities within disputes as regards non-recognition of creditors' claims within the scope of liquidation audit and de-registration of the company's structural units.
Representation and protection of the interests of a large light industry articles producer during bankruptcy proceeding, challenging omissions on the part of the insolvency receiver and agreements made by the debtor during bankruptcy proceeding.
Advisory services on tax issues, identification and mitigation of potential risks attributable to the disposal of toxic assets of an agrarian holding company, follow-up of agreements on sale of those distressed assets.
Advisory services to a Czech bank as regards tax implications attributable to the foreclosure on the immovable property via assumption of the title to such property, its sale to a third person, or via auction sale.
Legal assistance in connection with illegal refusal to refund VAT of more than 50 million UAH to an agricultural farming business. Preparation of complaint for consideration by the business ombudsman with subsequent communications with the tax authorities during the consideration of the complaint.
Advisory services to an exporter of agrarian products as regards suspension of the period of accrual of late payment penalty for late return to Ukraine of the currency proceeds under foreign economic contract on supplies of products to the Republic of Poland.
Protection of the interests of a foreign bank in a series of court disputes in administrative and commercial courts of Ukraine as regards challenging the acts of the debtor who sought to alienate the mortgaged property worth in total over 20 million Euros, follow-up of the procedure for enforcement of the court resolutions and foreclosure on the mortgaged property.
Protection of the interests of a foreign bank in a series of court disputes in Ukrainian courts in connection with recognition and enforcement in Ukraine of a resolution taken by an international commercial arbitration court with subsequent follow-up of the debtor's bankruptcy proceeding.
Protection of the interests of a global leader on the market of distribution of medical goods in a dispute with tax authorities as regards recognition illegal and cancellation of tax notifications-resolutions for a total amount exceeding 50 million UAH.
Advisory services to a leading Ukrainian bank as regards potential corruption risks in connection with employment of persons of certain categories, development of an action plan to identify such risks, coordination and evaluation of effectiveness of its implementation.
Design of the program (see below) and advisory services to a major Ukrainian spirits producer as regards implementation of an anti-corruption program, independent audit of efficiency of the units authorized to detect and prevent corruption at the company.
Advisory services to a global leader of the sector of production of medicines, household goods, and healthcare and hygiene goods during investigation of corruption-related incidents at the company. Issue of explanations, policy and advisory assistance on documenting formal results of such investigations.
Design of guidelines as regards prevention of corruption and fraudulent acts within labor disputes by the employees of a leader of paint and coatings products market of Ukraine.
Advisory services to a leading producer and distributor of clothes, footwear, and accessories within investigation of facts of leakage of information at the company with subsequent design of appropriate internal regulations to prevent such incidents.
Protection of the interests of a global leader in the sector on production of medicines and household goods to detect the sources of leakage of commercial information subsequently used to hamper the process of re-registration of the medicines made by the company.
Internal investigations in the interests of an international holding to identify persons that illegally misappropriated the company's funds via transactions through dummy companies.
Design of an internal policy on decision making and rules of work with counterparties for a major chemical products manufacturer.
Judicial defense of a major grain exporters against unfair acts of third persons, including conclusion of loan agreements based on fake documents.
Compliance audit in the interests of a global clothes manufacturer to identify feasibility of application of technical controls and goods accounting techniques.
GOLAW has been recognised in 13 practices by the annual research "Ukrainian Law Firms: A Handbook for Foreign Clients 2018"
Why Can’t One Manage to Obtain Consent for Bringing Politicians to Liability? - Valentyn Gvozdiy
The Best Lawyers in Ukraine 2018 features GOLAW partners among top expert lawyers for key legal practice areas
Chambers Europe 2018: GOLAW is recommended in the field of Tax law
GOLAW has been recommended in the 6 practice areas by The Legal 500 ranking
GOLAW has been recognised as the best Ukrainian law firm in the field of Business defence
GOLAW lawyers have been highly recognised by the international peer-review survey Best Lawyers
GOLAW attorneys protected the interests of the Bogomolets National Medical University rector in court against Ministry of Health
Representatives of businesses and state authorities have discussed tax regulation issues in Ukraine